We have reviewed 5 Koss headphones. They make mid-range and affordable headphones primarily for critical listening, but they also have a few mixed usage models at higher price ranges.
Compared to other brands
- Affordable Headphones. Koss delivers some of the best sounding budget headphones on the market. They don't always have the most durable build quality but it's to be expected at their price range.
- Unique Designs. Koss has a lot of unusual headphone designs that have an "old school" feel to them. They're not always practical but do stand out from other headphone brands with their unique styles.
- Headphone Variety. We have yet to review Koss' full lineup of headphones, but Koss has a vast inventory that spans from expensive wired over-ears specifically for critical listening to budget wireless in-ears/earbuds.
- Plasticky Build Quality. Koss headphones are affordable and have a good sound quality to price ratio. Unfortunately, their build quality is not as great, mostly having all-plastic designs that do not feel durable. On the upside, they have a pretty generous warranty.
- Lacks Active Features. Koss headphones do not have many features like noise canceling and app support. For the same price, other brands offer more feature-packed headphones that are more suitable for mixed usage and everyday casual use.
Overall, Koss makes affordable headphones that sound great. They also have a wide variety of headphone types and designs that cover most listener's preferences. However, they're not the best built or the most durable headphones. They also lack in features when compared to other brands who offer similarly priced models.
Best Koss Headphones
Koss doesn't have a clear naming strategy but there a few iconic headphones that share a common name.
- PortaPro = an open on-ear design with multiple variations that's portable and delivers a good sound.
- BT# = The wireless lineup that covers both over-ears and in-ear/earbuds.
- UR/Pro# = Mostly over/on-ear headphones designed specifically for critical listening and audio mixing.
- KS = Portable clip-on designs for both on-ear and in-ear headphones.
Best Koss Headphones for Critical Listening
What it is This is the combination of the different use cases to evaluate how versatile the headphones are. Therefore an everyday headphone should be well-rounded enough to adapt to most situations and environments without significant losses in sound quality, design ergonomics or isolation.
What it is The level of audio fidelity a headphone can reproduce. Therefore a balanced and true representation of bass, mids, treble, soundstage and imaging, as well as a comfortable listening experience, is essential for critical listening.
What it is How well the headphones handle the loud environments involved in commuting or traveling. Therefore your listening experience should be comfortable, hassle-free and as isolated from noise as possible.
What it is How well-adapted the headphones are, to use while doing sports or strenuous exercise. Therefore the headphones should not be too cumbersome and deliver a stable and comfortable listening experience.
What it is How well the headphones can deliver a comfortable and isolated listening experience in an office-like environment. They should not leak much and should block the noise of a busy office.
The best Koss headphones that we've reviewed are the Porta Pro. They're above-average critical listening headphones that are portable and comfortable enough for mixed usage although they won't be the most versatile headphones for all environments. They do not block a lot of noise and leak a lot due to the open design, but on the upside, they deliver a sound quality that's on par with headphones twice or three times their price range.
Koss makes a wide variety of headphone types and designs primarily for critical listening, but they also have more versatile models for everyday use. They have a lot of budget options that outperform much pricier headphones when it comes to sound quality. However, they don't have the most durable designs, and compared to some other brands like Bluedio, they lack a lot of features, even at their relatively affordable price range.
Check our recommendations for the best on-ear headphones.