Preferred tv store

Seems all 4K TV's do WORSE at showing 720p/1080i (broadcast) material than my 2K television ! Why ?

I was very excited and expectant of buying a new 4K television (probably a 65" OLED LG C8) until I did some very careful viewing of it and various other 4K televisions with 720p/1080i (high def BROADCAST) material on it. The picture just did not look as pleasing and natural as it did on my eight year old 2K high-def plasma ! I own a 50" plasma, and I was wanting to purchase a 65" OLED, As we watch a fair amount of broadcast 2K hi-def, I feel as though much of our viewing would be “going backward” on picture quality.

Is this a “dirty secret” about 4K ? RTINGS has not really spoken about this phenomenon. I think it is well worth a discussion. Several of my finely eye-tuned friends agree with me, so it would not just be “me” seeing this ! Thanks for responses.

Sort by:
  1. Preview Back to editor Format guide

The editor uses special characters (aka. markdown).

To post formatted content follow these rules:

What you typeWhat it will look like
    *italic text*italic text
    **bold text**bold text
    [link](http://rtings.com)link
    > quoted text
    quoted text
    # header

header

- item 1
    - item 2
    - item 3
    • item 1
    • item 2
    • item 3

* Quotes and lists must be followed by a blank line

1080p content will probably always look best on a 1080p TV, you’re absolutely right. This is because 1080p content has to be upscaled to 4k, and there is no “right” way to do it. Different manufacturers have different approaches to this, ranging from basic integer scaling (1 -> 4 mapping, also called nearest neighbor), to the most advanced object based upscaling found on some high-end TVs. The problem is that each of these methods produces a slightly different result, and some people naturally prefer one method over another.

We wish there was a way to easily compare the upscaling objectively, but we haven’t found it yet. In the end though, at a comfortable viewing distance we don’t expect most people to notice any difference.

Preview Back to editor Format guide

*italic text*italic text
**bold text**bold text
> quoted text
quoted text
# header

header

- item 1
- item 2
- item 3
  • item 1
  • item 2
  • item 3

* Quotes and lists must be followed by a blank line

JOIN RTINGS.com

Be part of the most informed community and take advantage of our advanced tools to find the best product for your needs.
Join our mailing list:

Edit Discussion

Preview Back to editor Format guide

*italic text*italic text
**bold text**bold text
> quoted text
quoted text
# header

header

- item 1
- item 2
- item 3