We have currently reviewed 25 Sennheiser headphones. They're a good, well-trusted brand, with a wide variety of headphones for different use cases. They also focus on high-end, reference quality models for more critical listeners and audiophiles. We have quite a few Sennheiser headphones reviews scheduled throughout the year, and we will continue to update you on any new headphones that we test.
- 05/15/2018 Sennheiser Ambeo Smart Headset reviewed
Compared to other brands
- Great Open-Back models. Sennheiser is one of the few companies to offer such a wide variety of open headphones at all price ranges.
- Above-Average Sound Quality. Sennheiser's line up typically focuses on quality audio reproduction. They provide more critical listening headphones than all-purpose headsets.
- Diverse Headphone Lineup. One of the best advantages of such a -longstanding company is the multitude of headphone series, which gives you more options to find headphones that suit your tastes and habits.
- Mediocre Noise Isolation. There are a couple of headphones from Sennheiser that block or cancel noise effectively. However, compared to some other brands, they don't have the best isolation for similar headphones.
- Expensive. Although there are a lot of cheap models offered by Sennheiser, the better sounding headphones tend to be more expensive than the competition.
- Overlapping Models. Some models in the vast Sennheiser lineup are very similar, only having slight aesthetic changes and minute differences in sound.
Overall, Sennheiser has a varied line-up of headphones but seems more focused on quality audio reproduction than versatility and an all-purpose design. They're a bit on the pricey end for headphones, although their cheaper models also perform admirably. However, they're easily one of the best when it comes to high-end open headphones, with a stellar sound quality for critical listeners.
Best Sennheiser Headphones
Sennheiser has a wide variety of headphones that range in price and use cases. They do especially well for critical listening headphones with the HD series but below are the typical use cases for the different model names.
- HD = Open or closed headphones designed to deliver great and balanced audio quality.
- Momentum = Versatile and durable headphones for everyday casual use.
- MM = The travel series. Compact and noise isolating headphones to easily carry around on a flight.
- PXC = Also a travel and commuting series but with more full-size over-ear headphones.
- CXC = The in-ear and earbud variation of the travel series. Typically very portable and noise isolating.
Best Sennheiser Headphones for audio quality
The best Sennheiser headphones for audio quality are the HD 800 S. They are Sennheiser's flagship headphones for high-end audio. They're a good choice if you want a pair of headphones that has an excellent sound quality and can reproduce the ambiance of listening to speakers in a room rather than headphones on your head. They're made with premium materials, are sturdy and have a comfortable fit that you can wear for hours. However, they're quite expensive and are only meant for critical listening so they won't be your everyday headphones.
Best Sennheiser Headphones for mixed usage
The best Sennheiser wireless headphones for mixed usage are the PXC 550 Wireless. They are the most versatile option from Sennheiser, and they're well designed, comfortable and noise canceling. They also have a customizable sound profile and a great battery life. If you need a well-rounded headset that you're going to use every day, then the PXC 550 are the best choice that Sennheiser has to offer.
Best Sennheiser Headphones for home theater
The best Sennheiser headphones for home theater are the RS 165. They're not at all versatile for other use cases since they require their RF transmitter stand to work. However, they have an excellent latency performance for watching movies. They also have a decently well-balanced sound quality for listening to music. If you need a pair of headphones strictly to use with your TV for watching videos or gaming and don't wont to distract the people around you, then they are the best option that we've reviewed so far.
Best Sennheiser Headphones for Gaming
The Game One wireless headsets are the best headphones for gaming from Sennheiser so far. They sound great, and they're very comfortable. They also have a low latency wired connection, an excellent microphone and an open design that gives them a more spacious Soundstage than most other gaming headphones we've reviewed. However, their design is not versatile enough for outdoor use. They also leak a lot and don't block a lot of noise so they should be fine if you game alone or in a quiet environment but they won't be the ideal gaming headphones to take to a competition.
Sennheiser is a big brand. Therefore they have a wide variety of headphones that are either specific to a use case or well rounded enough for everyday casual use. However, in general, they tend to focus more on a better sound quality than a versatile design, offering more models that cater to critical listening and home theater entertainment than sports or traveling.
Discover our recommendations for the best audiophile headphones.